Please consider registering
April 17, 2014
Reserved for Kill Team active campaign discussion:
- Updated Zombie 'Freedom from Flesh' rule
- Updates to the Fixer, Medic, squad-wide abilities and equipment, as well as blessings/maledictions
April 17, 2014
April 17, 2014
I played 3 games last night with Asmodai, with the OP ruleset using ammo rolls and morale tests. Game 1 was a slaughter; my plague marines got mowed down by Black Knight bikes that ignored difficult/dangerous terrain and had 3+ cover saves and TW plasma. I had some crappy dice and could have deployed better, but the outcome would not have changed.
Game 2 pitted my Plague Marines against Astra Militarum. Ammo rolls disabled the Autocannon heavy wpns team after the first shot, and break checks routed the rest of my opponent's forces in the last turn, leaving me one plague marine to claim victory.
Game 3 was a slaughter, but this time by Noise Marines routed SM bikes (not Black Knights). The blast master went 3/3 in killing bikes with str 8 AP3 ignores cover, while the sonic blasters whittled down the remaining. Break tests were luckily not an issue.
- Ammo rolls as-is are painful and not that fun. They do tend to forge a narrative, so perhaps teams should not roll for ammo issues until the start of turn 3-4. Or, perhaps a failed roll just means that they can't shoot for one turn? This needs some tweaking.
- Break tests provide some paper/rock/scissors for hordes, as they do help to offset the benefits of running large squads (which typically have low leadership). However, rather than simply removing a failed model from the board, they should just fall back and have to regroup (similar to regular 40K games). Again, I was running fearless units so it was not an issue for my army; but, it did cost my opponent a win on game 2.
- The shorter games are fun! Plus, hilarity ensued during our in-game antics, as we forged a rather comical narrative (mainly from the results of horrendous ammo rolls early in the game).
My 2 cents:
For some reason I thought that the black knights would be ammo rolling out on turn 1 but only 1 of 5 really had the issue. While it didn't seem to effect that list terribly, it was catastrophic for the Guard auto cannon and would have been for my plasma guy if I had not got a lucky 6. The ammo roll definitely adds an almost 2nd edition ork codex feel to the end game. At the end of the day I would play with it either way as it was the source of a lot of hilarity but it does really hurt low model count armies.
There was some question as to whether vehicles needed ammo rolls or not. If so we need to add multi laser and Las gun array to the ammo roll chart among others.
sonic youth (whatever that noise marine gun is)
Jose and I had a good game between Guard and Tau yesterday. Some takeaways:
-coup d'grace is a good dynamic, not automatic but saves time on combats
-two large model count teams make for a long game
-the pinning check is much better than just auto pinning, you'll still have plenty of guys hitting the dirt but your whole team is unlikely to ever be completely immobilized because the enemy pew pewed at them.
-ammo checks (if we're doing them) need sniper rifles added to the list. I think we played them as 4+ and that worked well.
-on ammo checks, both my gun drones ran out of ammo and were reduced to attempting CDG on down enemies. I think between the two they went 3/4 on those plus another managed to gun down a ratling.
-really like the serious injury chart, we only lost one member apiece to the "dead" option and some cool perks/modifiers came up.
-we had questions on taking wounds while down. If you had multiple unsaved wounds we rolled once and applied the result to all the flesh wounds. Seemed to work, and it was fairly common to happen with all the shooting we were doing.
I think that's the gist of it, we played the headhunter mission but never leader was ever in danger. I killed 2 specialists to his 1 and got first blood for a 3-1 win. Very fun mission and those hotshot lasguns can be vicious if they catch you in the open.
Yeah I think it makes sense from a logistics perspective as well as a fluff perspective. You'll split off into smaller fire teams before you max out one big squad. And you gain quicker access to upgrades. I won't have many upgrades for fire warriors but I could see it benefitting any squad that have weapon limitations.
April 17, 2014
I'm going to go with you have to buy the minimum size squad for whichever slot you're aiming at. Either way you're paying the same. Plus it makes it easier for record keeping. You're not going "well this week they're in squad one, and next week they now broke off and suddenly have three new buddies and are squad 2". I like to keep things streamlined and simple.
April 17, 2014
Version 11 of the rules has been added to the OP.
'[Roland Durendal] added an additional special rule for Zombies, refined the "+d6 for Surviving" EXP bonus to get rid of "Out of Action" and make it "Down" instead (dead dudes getting bonuses doesn't seem right) and added in EXP gains for the winning team in all missions to try and encourage more aggressive play / try to win the missions.'
Most Users Ever Online: 17
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 4
Administrators: GameOn: 6
Musings by Month
Fav Gaming Blogs
- Review of "The Lord of the Rings: Quest to Mount Doom" for PopNerdTV October 19, 2018It's been a bit since I reviews something for PopNerdTV that wasn't a Games Workshop product, or game I actively play, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to have a look at the new Lord of the Rings game. As I started looking over the rules and materials I found that the […]
- Review of "The Lord of the Rings: Quest to Mount Doom" for PopNerdTV October 19, 2018
- My little Ork Trukk for #Orktober October 18, 2018I couldn't let Orktober go by without putting out some more Greenskin fun. Seems like it has been a while since I shared my Ork Warboss, back in July. 2017.... oops. With that in mind I thought my Boyz need an Ork Trukk. No time like the present to get back to it, as such […]
- My little Ork Trukk for #Orktober October 18, 2018
- Completed Deff Dread for Dreadtober 2017 October 31, 2017Despite this being one of the busiest months I’ve had in a long while, I have managed to finish the Deff Dread for Dreadtober 2017. Adding another stomping wonder of Ork technology to my Death Skulls army. I won’t get too much into the RL issues keeping me from painting and posting. But I have […]
- Completed Deff Dread for Dreadtober 2017 October 31, 2017
- Welp that took awhile July 25, 2018Lord have mercy that was a long break. I still painted stuff. Not as fast as normal - but still knocked out a ton of stuff. Plus some artwork etc etc. Right now my next event is War-games Con - which I think I can go to as my new baby boy came July […]
- Welp that took awhile July 25, 2018
- Tyranid Codex Review – Troops: Hormagaunts October 21, 2018Hello everyone, Danny from TFG Radio here, and today, we are going to keep clicking through the Troops section of the Tyranid book, and of course, you should also check out all the articles over at the tactics corner. Let’s look at our little, sometimes wobbly, other option for cheap chaff, the Hormagaunt! Do you […]
- Tyranid Codex Review – Troops: Hormagaunts October 21, 2018
- Warzone: Atlanta List Building - Blood Angels 1.1 October 4, 2018Warzone: Atlanta is rapidly approaching and I have been working on what to take. I am leaning toward my Blood Angels lead Imperial lists, adapting off the list I took to NOVA last month but between the recent Fall FAQ and painted model availability, I am feeling a little limited on the list itself.Read more […]
- Warzone: Atlanta List Building - Blood Angels 1.1 October 4, 2018
- Unsung Heroes of the Heresy: There is Yet Time! October 7, 2018We’re headed into the middle of October, but there’s still plenty of time to enter the Unsung Heroes of the Heresy contest! All you need is a single painted figure and […]
- Unsung Heroes of the Heresy: There is Yet Time! October 7, 2018
- A Child for the Warrior King, pt.6 — and a small interlude October 15, 2018My hobby work has not been all that exciting recently: The combination of a decided lack of feedback here on the blog and a prolongued downtime over at The Bolter & Chainsword has worked as a bit of a dampener to my hobby motivation. But I have a new update to share with you all, […]
- A Child for the Warrior King, pt.6 — and a small interlude October 15, 2018