Please consider registering
April 17, 2014
Reserved for Kill Team active campaign discussion:
- Updated Zombie 'Freedom from Flesh' rule
- Updates to the Fixer, Medic, squad-wide abilities and equipment, as well as blessings/maledictions
April 17, 2014
April 17, 2014
I played 3 games last night with Asmodai, with the OP ruleset using ammo rolls and morale tests. Game 1 was a slaughter; my plague marines got mowed down by Black Knight bikes that ignored difficult/dangerous terrain and had 3+ cover saves and TW plasma. I had some crappy dice and could have deployed better, but the outcome would not have changed.
Game 2 pitted my Plague Marines against Astra Militarum. Ammo rolls disabled the Autocannon heavy wpns team after the first shot, and break checks routed the rest of my opponent's forces in the last turn, leaving me one plague marine to claim victory.
Game 3 was a slaughter, but this time by Noise Marines routed SM bikes (not Black Knights). The blast master went 3/3 in killing bikes with str 8 AP3 ignores cover, while the sonic blasters whittled down the remaining. Break tests were luckily not an issue.
- Ammo rolls as-is are painful and not that fun. They do tend to forge a narrative, so perhaps teams should not roll for ammo issues until the start of turn 3-4. Or, perhaps a failed roll just means that they can't shoot for one turn? This needs some tweaking.
- Break tests provide some paper/rock/scissors for hordes, as they do help to offset the benefits of running large squads (which typically have low leadership). However, rather than simply removing a failed model from the board, they should just fall back and have to regroup (similar to regular 40K games). Again, I was running fearless units so it was not an issue for my army; but, it did cost my opponent a win on game 2.
- The shorter games are fun! Plus, hilarity ensued during our in-game antics, as we forged a rather comical narrative (mainly from the results of horrendous ammo rolls early in the game).
My 2 cents:
For some reason I thought that the black knights would be ammo rolling out on turn 1 but only 1 of 5 really had the issue. While it didn't seem to effect that list terribly, it was catastrophic for the Guard auto cannon and would have been for my plasma guy if I had not got a lucky 6. The ammo roll definitely adds an almost 2nd edition ork codex feel to the end game. At the end of the day I would play with it either way as it was the source of a lot of hilarity but it does really hurt low model count armies.
There was some question as to whether vehicles needed ammo rolls or not. If so we need to add multi laser and Las gun array to the ammo roll chart among others.
sonic youth (whatever that noise marine gun is)
Jose and I had a good game between Guard and Tau yesterday. Some takeaways:
-coup d'grace is a good dynamic, not automatic but saves time on combats
-two large model count teams make for a long game
-the pinning check is much better than just auto pinning, you'll still have plenty of guys hitting the dirt but your whole team is unlikely to ever be completely immobilized because the enemy pew pewed at them.
-ammo checks (if we're doing them) need sniper rifles added to the list. I think we played them as 4+ and that worked well.
-on ammo checks, both my gun drones ran out of ammo and were reduced to attempting CDG on down enemies. I think between the two they went 3/4 on those plus another managed to gun down a ratling.
-really like the serious injury chart, we only lost one member apiece to the "dead" option and some cool perks/modifiers came up.
-we had questions on taking wounds while down. If you had multiple unsaved wounds we rolled once and applied the result to all the flesh wounds. Seemed to work, and it was fairly common to happen with all the shooting we were doing.
I think that's the gist of it, we played the headhunter mission but never leader was ever in danger. I killed 2 specialists to his 1 and got first blood for a 3-1 win. Very fun mission and those hotshot lasguns can be vicious if they catch you in the open.
Yeah I think it makes sense from a logistics perspective as well as a fluff perspective. You'll split off into smaller fire teams before you max out one big squad. And you gain quicker access to upgrades. I won't have many upgrades for fire warriors but I could see it benefitting any squad that have weapon limitations.
April 17, 2014
I'm going to go with you have to buy the minimum size squad for whichever slot you're aiming at. Either way you're paying the same. Plus it makes it easier for record keeping. You're not going "well this week they're in squad one, and next week they now broke off and suddenly have three new buddies and are squad 2". I like to keep things streamlined and simple.
April 17, 2014
Version 11 of the rules has been added to the OP.
'[Roland Durendal] added an additional special rule for Zombies, refined the "+d6 for Surviving" EXP bonus to get rid of "Out of Action" and make it "Down" instead (dead dudes getting bonuses doesn't seem right) and added in EXP gains for the winning team in all missions to try and encourage more aggressive play / try to win the missions.'
Most Users Ever Online: 17
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 4
Administrators: GameOn: 6
Musings by Month
Fav Gaming Blogs
- Episode 76.2: Man This Community Sucks Sometimes June 17, 2018Well I was expecting this to be a Battle Report addition as I set out to Las Vegas for the Gentleman's GT over this weekend. This was an ~40 person event with a lot of the more competitive guys from my meta in attendance and many more people who I didn't know. I've been a […]
- Episode 76.2: Man This Community Sucks Sometimes June 17, 2018
- Boardgames: Spirit Island review June 19, 2018The game: Spirit Island The publisher: Greater Than Games The designer: R. Eric Reuss The Concept Spirit Island is a fully cooperative board game where the players take the roles of spirits defending their island against invaders. The invaders expand and pillage relentlessly and the spirits must use their primordial and elemental powers to […]
- Boardgames: Spirit Island review June 19, 2018
- Completed Deff Dread for Dreadtober 2017 October 31, 2017Despite this being one of the busiest months I’ve had in a long while, I have managed to finish the Deff Dread for Dreadtober 2017. Adding another stomping wonder of Ork technology to my Death Skulls army. I won’t get too much into the RL issues keeping me from painting and posting. But I have […]
- Completed Deff Dread for Dreadtober 2017 October 31, 2017
- Woohoo I am still alive! May 10, 2018Been a bit - got busy, wife broke ankle, got more busy, kid is crazy, oh and hey I got busy haha. Still played some games, painted a ton of stuff, and heck even did some artwork. All and all my production side of things felt alright. Slow due to life - but I don't […]
- Woohoo I am still alive! May 10, 2018
- Tomes of the Librarius – Book Review: Malleus by Dan Abnett June 19, 2018Hello 40k fans! Chris Morgan, Chief Librarian of the Forge the Narrative Podcast, is here again with the next weekly segment of Tomes of the Librarius. Also, check the Tactics Corner for more great articles! Just as a reminder, in this series we will explore facets of the history and legends of the Grimdark. This is meant to be […]
- Tomes of the Librarius – Book Review: Malleus by Dan Abnett June 19, 2018
- Dabling In Eldar Soup - List Building - Evan's Aeldari 0.1 June 15, 2018My friend and ATC teammate Phil, the Glacial Geek, was in my area last week and we were able to get a game in. We opted to play ITC Missions in prep for ATC, which is rapidly approaching. I was interested in trying out armies other than my bugs to get wider experience so I […]
- Dabling In Eldar Soup - List Building - Evan's Aeldari 0.1 June 15, 2018
- Five Random Things I’d Like To See Changed in the Horus Heresy June 8, 2018When my hobby time is limited for one reason or another, I like to build army concepts in my mind, and lately, I’ve been on a Horus Heresy kick. But […]
- Five Random Things I’d Like To See Changed in the Horus Heresy June 8, 2018
- INQ28: Hear Me Roar! June 18, 2018More Deathwatch for today, as I have been plugging away at my Primaris based true scale killteam for another week. Allow me to share the results with you: First up, there’s the Celestial Lions Astartes I have already shared with you in WIP form. Like I said, my main influence for choosing the chapter was […]
- INQ28: Hear Me Roar! June 18, 2018